You did it! All of your hard work has finally paid off. Finally, after all those nights of cram sessions and writing papers, the end is in sight. Graduating from college is an incredible experience. So once you receive your diploma, where do you go from here? This is what I have learned one year after graduation:
- Everyone’s journey is different. As such, do not get discouraged if you are not hired into your dream job right away. Without getting into a messy subject like politics, the fact remains: our job market is not strong. Meaning, jobs are scarce. Take advantage of internship opportunities NOW to help you gain experience in your industry. Your dreams will not come true if you do not work hard to achieve them.
- Stay educated. Are you having a hard time getting interviews with companies? You are not alone. In order to stand out against hundreds of applicants, you need to be unique. I encourage all graduates to get certifications. You would be so surprised as to how many certifications you can earn (for free) online. If you are a business or marketing graduate, be sure to check out Hubspot for formidable certifications to add to your resume.
- Try something new. When I graduated from college, I was at a loss (in a sense). I was finished with school but found myself with so much extra time (more than what I knew to do with). I found myself being bored so I decided to seek a challenge: I started a fashion blog. I did not do too much research. I simply chose to start my blog and figured I would learn the ropes from there. And learn I did! I now have experience with running a blog on WordPress, manage several social media outlets and have had the chance to connect with so many professionals in the blogging community. So, always challenge yourself by trying something new. You will be amazed with all you accomplish after graduation!
- Don’t let anyone tell you how to live your life. People always have their opinions on how you should proceed with your life after college. There is a lot we can learn from our parents and grandparents. But let’s face it, we are facing much different circumstances than our parents and grandparents did when they graduated from college. So as you proceed with finding the right job (or starting your own business), take what your loved ones say with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, YOU need to make decisions on how your life is going to be moving forward.
- It’s ok if you are still living at home after college. I just LOVE when people complain that millennials are still living at home with their parents implying that all millennials are lazy. And by love, I mean I have to make an effort not to let my blood boil when I hear this. Yes. Some of us have to live at home for a while because we want to be RESPONSIBLE. Some of us want to pay down our students loans or save a little before getting married or get a new house. Graduates, just because you cannot move out right away that does not mean you are a failure. Life can get pretty expensive! So be picky when you select your next job. Make sure that you not only find a job that compensates you well but also appreciates you as an asset-not just as a number. Also recognize that you are not alone. Many of us have to live at home before getting on our feet. It’s ok! Like I said before, everyone’s journey is different.
- Celebrate all victories (big and small). We college graduates are far too hard on ourselves. We have accomplished so much to finally receive our diploma. And trust me, you will continue to break down barriers if you choose to do so. The journey is not over from here. Whether you get a promotion or surprise yourself when you manage to stay calm and collective in the face of a nasty customer, be kinder to yourself by celebrating all of your victories. Success is a long process and how one measure success depends on the person. For example, I do not view success by how much money I make. To be, success comes from doing work that is meaningful. Most importantly, success is having a job that does not feel like work at all.
Love what you do and you will never work a day in your life – Confucius
Congrats class of 2017!
April has certainly been a month of excitement. This month, I had the exciting surprise to see that I was featured in Instyle’s May 2017 magazine! We also had a chance to celebrate Earth Day while also being reminded to make every day Earth Day. Thanks to the return of warmer weather, I got a chance to whip out my spring wardrobe and even a maxi dress on a hot, summer like day! Here is a short recap on some of my favorite looks from last month.
Top: SOLD OUT ; similar here // Purse: LC Lauren Conrad // Shoes: Converse
Dress: Felicity and Coco // Shoes: Steve Madden // Hat: similar here // Clutch: similar here
Dress: Kate Spade // Shoes: JLO by Jennifer Lopez // Purse: LC Lauren Conrad // Earrings: Swarovski
Top: Loft // Jeans: Loft // Shoes: Kate Spade // Bag: LC Lauren Conrad // Denim jacket: Kut From the Kloth
Top: similar here // Skirt: Banana Republic // Shoes: Hinge // Clutch: similar here
Hi loves! The weekend is so close, I can taste it! This weekend, choose to whip out one of your favorite cold shoulder tops. The one I have featured in this post is by Wayf. During this transition to spring to summer, we are still facing nights that call for a jacket (for this look, I whipped out my favorite vegan leather jacket). My jeans are by 7 for all Mankind and are great for petite women. I am not exaggerating when I say these jean fit like a glove! For date night, I love to use my favorite suede boots before it becomes too hot to wear them again. Check out some of my other favorite cold shoulder tops below that you will be sure to fall in love with.
Cold shoulder tops
Cold shoulder dresses
Hello beautiful people! There is nothing I love more than knowing that my purchases are making a difference to others in the United States and across the globe. Today’s post is going to feature products that you can purchase to give back to some of your favorite charities and initiatives. It turns out you can be fashionable and philanthropic all at the same time. 😉
Alex and Ani: Charity by Design
I love Alex and Ani as it is. But when I came across some of their charity by design bracelets, I grew to love this company even more. The bracelet that caught my eye when I was in a Paper Store was a beautiful daisy charm. 20% of my purchase is going to Peace Corps’ Let Girls Learn initiative. This wonderful initiative strives to ensure that all young women receive an education to not only better their lives but also provide them with the tools to better their communities as well. Alex and Ani have charity bracelets for organizations such as VH1’s Save the Music, The American Cancer Society, UNICEF and many more. Your purchase can truly make a different to any of your favorite charities.
Toms shoes are fashionable and every purchase made helps others in need. A basic necessity that we all have the privilege of having is different pairs of shoes for work, school or to wear casually. Sadly, there are many children and adults overseas who not have even a single pair of shoes to use. Every item that is sold at Toms goes to 1 of their 5 initiates to make the world a better place.
I shop on Amazon a lot and I know I am not alone. Thankfully, Amazon has made it easy for you to give back with any of your purchases. Before you start browsing for purchases, Amazon will send to you AmazonSmile. Here, you can choose the charity were you will to support. Amazon will then give a small portion of your item’s purchase price to the charity of your choice.
Shop my look
Hope you are inspired to do some shopping with purpose!
Photos by: Katie Vee Photography
Hi love! Nothing is more romantic than lace detailing. Spring fashion calls for lace pieces in my opinion. The top that I have featured in my images is sold out so I found some of my favorite lace tops that vary from difference price ranges and vary in style. Keep in mind that pieces with lace are delicate. So be sure to hand wash your new favorite top to persevere its’ beauty!
Long Sleeve lace tops
Lace OTS/Cold Shoulder tops
Sleeveless Lace tops
Hi loves! I hope you had an awesome weekend and a lovely Easter! I got the chance to enjoy a pool party with my second family. Nothing like summer weather in April right? The warm sunny day put me in the mood to bring out one of my favorite maxi dresses. This blue one is by Felicity and Coco. It’s super light and if hides your mid-section if that is an area of your body you are not a fan of. I have linked some accessories to pair with the dress along with some whimsical pool accessories.